Week 3

transferred from http://almostfamous.rediffblogs.com

Hot News ! I've started taking Guitar Classes for a Professor's son (12 yrs old). How I got picked is a short boring story. Lets just say a CAT in hand, is worth a guitar class for another. Last week, I had my first class. I love the subtle management techniques we apply. The prof. enquired over the phone, "When would you like to take the class ?"
I put some thought into it and said, "When would you like me to take it?"
He said, "Anytime time is ok".
I said, "I think 4.30pm is fine."
He asked, "How about 5.30pm ?".
I sighed, "ok fine. 5.30pm." What was the point of the whole exercise ?

I also had a hard time broaching the whole subject of payment. When I finally had the perfect line ready and began my performance, he interrupted and said we should wait for Aunty. Aunty came from the temple and did all the haggling. I had first thought Uncle ji was subservient and hence Aunty had to do the job. A more sensible friend made me realize he's a professor and it's not right for him to do the job. aah..enlightenment. The final price is decent, considering I did all the bargaining.

Today was the 2nd class ( Today should be February 16th, or I should be more regular in blogging). Aunty kept insisting on 'Ajeeb daastaan hai ye' or 'Chura Liya' - they are known to the masses as guitar songs. Of course, the boy is of the generation where Shaan and Strings signify good music. He kept sulking and insisting on the pop dudes. Finally we settled on 'Dil Chahta Hai'. His statement amused me a lot - "Bhaiya, wo JAZZ music sikhaiye na". I said, "Jazz matlab ?". He said "Wohi jo rock-jazz-western music hota hai". I instantly knew what I was dealing with. I will slowly infuse sensible guitar music into their household.

Its been a while since I've seen a home (other than my own and Deepali's and Jaspreet's). I haven't ventured beyond the drawing room and the puja-cum-shivam's room (yes thats his name, and no, Puja is not a female's name. It's "The Puja" room). I enjoyed the colour combinations of the cushions and the curtain colours -one enormous sofa set, an unimposing setti placed in the corner, an untouched showcase with tiny toys and one large mickey mouse.

I relish the tea they serve. Today I was offered plain water (Shivam got the mediocre steel tumbler and I got the guest glass). Tea served in the end seemed like a last minute decision. Hope the catering doesn't die down as I become less of a guest/mehmaan and more of a guy-in-the-house.

Comments